Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Weekly weight loss, week 13

Plugging along over here in weight-loss land.

Effortwise, it was a pretty good week. I was adherent to my calorie limit throughout the week, although I included one Cooking Light slow cooker meal (eaten with Will over a few different dinners). But even with this, I weighed the meat and carefully doled out the appropriate calorie amount (Good, Mo!). We also ate out Saturday night with friends, and it was the first time I've done a group eating out scenario. I didn't special order everything like the other times I've eaten out but I did try to watch my portions and not eat anything crazy. It was difficult to estimate calorie count, since I didn't have anything I could easily guesstimate in terms of calories (typically I play it very safe when eating out and get some kind of plain protein and steamed veggies, but this time, we were at a Dominican restaurant, and I had a few bites of arepas, and a few bites of paella, and a couple of soft tacos). I skipped dessert, didn't have any alcohol, and figured it should all be reasonably ok.

I also hit the gym a few times this week, which is brand new for me, and this past weekend, when I couldn't figure out how to get the interval program working on the treadmill, I decided to just run for 20 minutes. Was shocked to find I was able to do that and maintain a 12-minute mile pace. Really slow, I know, but I haven't really worked out in any sustained way in over a year, and at that point, I was definitely not running for 20 minutes straight. So I was surprised and thrilled. Sunday, I followed it up with a run outside with Will and Magpie and Moxie - and this time ran for 24 minutes straight! I thought I would die, but lo and behold, I did not. Instead, I ended up really proud of myself on the exercise front.

I was NOT feeling confident about the weight loss this week, though. My legs felt heavy and swollen from running, I ovulated Sunday or Monday (and the last time I ovulated is also the last time I showed a gain on the scale), and the restaurant meal was a real wild card. Also, last week, I lost 3 pounds! Seemed destined that things might not go well. All, in all, I figured all bets were off.

And, well, the scale reflected my concerns. Somehow, despite everything, I *gained* 1.2 pounds. There is NO WAY, by the way, that I consumed an extra 3500 calories at that dinner. Absolutely no way. So there is definitely something funky going on with me and the scale this week.

Weekly Weight Loss
Starting BMI just after Thanksgiving = 25.2 (officially overweight)
Week 1:     - 4.4 pounds (back into normal BMI territory, less than 25!)
Week 2:     - 0.8 pounds
Week 3:     - 3.6 pounds
Week 4:     out of town so no Jenny food and no weigh-in (Christmas travel madness!)
Week 5:     - 4.4 pounds since last weigh-in
Week 6:     - 2 pounds
Week 7:     - 1.6 pounds
Week 8:     - 1.4 pounds
Week 9:     + 0.4  pounds
Week 10:     -4.2 pounds  
Week 11:     -0.2 pounds  
Week 12:     -3.0 pounds 
Week 13:     +1.2 pounds (akkkk!!!)
Grand Total So Far: 24 pounds lost (BMI = 21.2)

I'm trying not to get demoralized by this week's scale number. It feels like a HUGE gain. We leave at the end of the week for an overseas business trip, which is exciting, but stressful, and continuing with the weight loss is a major stressor of the trip. But I will just do my best and we'll see where things stand when I get home and back in the weight loss saddle.

Mo


photo credit: http://changebeginshere.tumblr.com/fatloss



Click here to subscribe
  Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe in Bloglines

10 comments:

  1. Don't be demoralized, and don't even really think about it too much. Restaurant food is typically salty, because it makes you eat more & drink more. Salt--even much smaller amounts than you'd think--makes one retain water, especially when you've been eating good-for-you (ie: not salty) food for quite a while. Honestly, if I have 5 olives, I notice a pound or two (!) weight gain then it goes away in a day or two.

    I guarantee that's all this is. Please don't sweat it. Really. You're a rock star, and you've done a seriously amazing job with the weight loss. Give it a week & I 'll bet things have averaged out to where they should be!

    And enjoy the trip, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang, mo...
    you have to allow for more fluctuations in the scale.
    3 pounds, up or down, from your goal weight...
    that will account for-
    ovulation and cd1 gain or loss,
    water weight,
    muscle/exercise adjustments,
    dinners out,
    illness,
    etc. etc.

    great job on going out for a REAL meal.

    what is life without an awesome restaurant meal, or an easter bunny splurge, or just nor feeling like exercising for one week for whatever reason? cut some slack, stay on the general program, and remember, no matter what the deal is, every day you wake up is a new day- a new chance to recommit to your goal.

    I have gone to camp for a weekend and totally gone off the reservation, so to speak... it has only ever taken a week or so to get totally back on track and management, and then, the fun memories of the weekend don't seem so bad. no one wants to spend their life sitting on the sidelines saying 'well, no, I can't because I am afraid of gaining a pound this week.'. you are on the right track! don't get too crazy with this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is true that muscle weighs more than fat - if you have been to the gym and been running then you may have gained some muscle. Seriously impressed with your stick-with-it-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My guess is that there was simply an excess of water in your body during your weigh in, either due to slight inflammation caused by the exercise, salt intake, at your restaurant meal or due to a shift in hormone levels related to ovulating. Remember that a gallon of water weighs eight pounds and think about how little of that would need to be distributed either in your tissues or in your blood volume to make up 2 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I constantly tell people don't freak out when you run and don't lose weight. It's common that muscle mass is replacing fat tissue while weight stays the same. There are a few diet tricks to follow to reduce the fat quicker but I can't post links here so if you're interested just e-mail me dave@fitnessaid.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job! I think that losing extra pounds is a long and hard process. I use a service, Fat Loss Factor program, that can help to lose pounds in a healthy way and contains a lot of informative articles, like how to lose weight in a week. Anyway one has to be motivated enough and enjoy life, it will help to lose extra pounds easily! so I wish you good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your weight can fluctuate normally by more than a pound. Your obsession about this is actually making me a little nervous...please take care. <3 You could even be eating too little for all the activity you are doing and slowing your metabolism. When I hit a plateau losing weight, at one point I had to up my calories by about 400 to kick start again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mo, I echo all the other smart commenters! Your margin of 5 lbs is to allow for your bodies complex processes, not a stick to beat your ''self" with. Also, once you start excersising it's a good idea to take measurements and look at how those change. As you add muscle you will weigh more, but you might be smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done an amazing job and are an inspiration. I commented on one of your recent wt loss posts saying I was going to try JC. Well I joined a month ago and have lost 8.6 lbs. Yeah. I'm shooting for 10 more but 5 would even be fine.

    I've always been active and eaten pretty healthy food, but what JC has taught me is that I was way off on my main entree portion size! like 2-3 times off. So that has been really cool.

    Some days we retain more water than others and I imagine that might be what is going on with you this week.

    ~N

    ReplyDelete
  10. N - great for you on joining JC and losing 8.6 pounds in a month - that is WOW! Please stop by again and update on how you're doing! Great work!

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts