Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Our donor's one-day work up is TODAY


I know I still owe you guys a post about our one-day work up last Friday, and that's coming, I swear! I have been completely swamped at work, making it hard to post.


But in the meantime, I wanted to fill you in on a new development. As of yesterday, our agency donor cleared the initial screening process at the Denver clinic. It had been a bit delayed because she apparently had a blind cousin.


Blind cousin! We were nearly derailed by a blind cousin! Apparently there are several congenital causes of blindness and because this cousin died in a car crash (I'm assuming he was not the driver), he cannot be tested. But finally, after a lengthy hold up, the genetics counselor signed off on this cousin situation. Yesterday afternoon.


And then miraculously, our donor was immediately scheduled and flown in this morning to have her one-day work up.

That's right, less than 24 hours after passing the Denver paper screen, they are evaluating her in person. Incredible. Someone must really be looking out for us.




In fact, our donor's one-day work up is happening RIGHT NOW! (gulp)


She's undergoing:

  • psychological evaluation (including MMPI-2) 
  • baseline ultrasound
  • physical exam
  • pap smear/breast exam
  • urine toxicology screen
  • blood typing
  • CBC/chem panel
  • communicable diseases panel
  • and genetic testing (karyotype, cystic fibrosis, fragile x, spinal muscular atrophy, and hemoglobinopathy)
I didn't think I would be, but I am really nervous she won't pass some aspect of this. Which would really stink, mostly because we're kind of in love with her and if we can't use her will be heartbroken, but also because financially we're paying steeply for her Denver work up and have also already sent her agency a considerable amount of non-refundable funds.

So fingers crossed. I promise to post shortly about our one-day work up experience - and will do the same about hers, once I receive any info. To give a brief summary, our one-day work up was much more stressful than we anticipated. Everything turned out fine, but Will and I both returned home exhausted.


More to come on this and other topics.

Mo
                     
Click here to subscribe
Add to Google Reader or Homepage Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe in Bloglines Add to My AOL

12 comments:

  1. Goodness - exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. I hope that everything goes smoothly and you're able to move forward with this donor, she sounds great! It's the waiting that kills me the most with these processes - I'm hoping you at least get some answers sooner rather than later. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! YESYESYESYESYES! Fingers crossed, here's hoping she passes everything with flying colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is really happening.

    I look forward to learning more about your process and her results. Fingers more than crossed for smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, now you've got a third person in the whole TTC drama mix. I hadn't thought about that. How stressful! Now that you're feeling confident about your path and this donor, I'm so hoping this round goes smoothly for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited for you. I'll be following every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting! Our donor had her workup with our clinic on 9/9 and I didn't get the all clear until 9/23. So...much...waiting...

    Hope everything comes back all clear (and quickly!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! You're on your way! So excited for you- fingers crossed for the all clear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh...my knees are knocking for you!!! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fantastic. They are very stringent with their work up. I remember the clinic telling us that they would reject any donor with a family history of depression, alcoholism or any genetic disease. Me and my lovely hubbie both thought - Blimey that'd rule out both of our families!

    Anyway I'm presently 6 weeks pregnant after donor egg IVF so she must have come from good stock!

    Any questions you have please just ask.

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts